The Middle Ages
- During 400-1200 A.D. Music and Dancing was very popular.
- In 453 A.D. Korean musicians and dancers were trained in Mainland East
Asia further enriched the sources of music in the courts and temples.
- As for 612 A.D. A Korean immigrant from Paekche, named Mimashi, had
begun teaching Gigaku (A foreign music and dance) to youths. (William P-Malm Page
- During the period 612-712 A.D. There were records of Ancient Matters.
There was a dance called Utagaki, where a group dances and sings performed before
sexual intercourse and related to tribal practices elsewhere in East Asia.
- During 697-707 A.D. After the fall of the Patriarchal System of
Government, the Emperor Mammu democratic edict, declared the throne of the
civilization rested on the people in which to wield power.
- In 752 A.D. Hundreds of musicians and dancers were assembled for
dedication of a Giant Buddhist Statue at the Todaiji Temple in Nara. This was an insight
into one of the most brillant periods of East Asia musical history.
- During 794-1185 A.D. Was the Heian period, where favorite pastimes in
the imperial court included poetry composition, music, indoor games, sports and seasonal
excursions of various kinds. There most favorite games were Go, Shori, and Tag, where
players' attempt to throw arrows into a jar. (Inoue Shun.)
- During 833-850 A.D. Dancing was very popular, dancers were performed
in pairs, usually one dance was performed with four males. Dancers were classified as left
and right. The left dancers were from China, Central Asia. And the right dancers were
from Korea. They were dressed in Bugaku, which are elaborate and richly colored
costumes.- In 926 A.D. The Kingdom of Parhce was conquered.
- In 936 A.D. Wang Keon (King T'Aejo)(The Posthumos title by which he is
known to history.) He attacked and easily subdued later Paekche, and Korea was once
- In 950 A.D. There was an exercise called Nembutsu, which was taught in
China. It was asserted itself as Pure land Movement. That was their primary religious
exercise. It was said to free performers' from wordly distractions, and it has also been
performed to pacify the spirit of the dead.
- During 1046-1083 A.D. This was the high point of Koryo, which is a city
in Korea, it was a high point in their society and culture. As for the approach of the 11th
Century, Woodblock Printing on paper began.